Open Access Academic Journals
OA Routes and Strategies
I've made a tool that takes a list of journal titles and returns their OA status in a .CSV file: http://flask.brandoncurtis.com
OA Cost Subsidies
Berkeley participates in a program to subsidize OA costs: Berkeley Research Impact Initiative (BRII).
"One application per individual per calendar year. Article processing charges (APCs) will be subsidized for fully open access journals only (that is, the entire journal must be freely available to the public and not charge a subscription fee). BRII will fund up to $3000 of APC. Please note that BRII no longer covers APCs for "hybrid" (subscription-based) journals. We request that authors or publishers with sufficient funding from grants or contracts not apply for BRII funds. We encourage researchers to include a line-item on future grant proposals for dissemination or open access costs. If possible, we ask that BRII funding recipients include the following statement in their acknowledgements: Publication made possible in part by support from the Berkeley Research Impact Initative (BRII) sponsored by the UC Berkeley Library."
Open Access Chemical Education Journals
Open Access Scientific Journals
American Chemical Society and OA
- Does ACS label its APC #openaccess adequately?
- ARS TECHNICA: Biologists start sharing unpublished work—oh, the horror!
- ARS TECHNICA: Open access science news is mostly good, with a bit of ugly
- THE CHRONICLE: An Open Letter to Academic Publishers About Open Access
- OPEN CITATIONS: Open letter to publishers
- THE GUARDIAN: Persistent myths about open access scientific publishing
- THE GUARDIAN: Open, free access to academic research? This will be a seismic shift
- THE WINNOWER: Open Letter to The American Association for the Advancement of Science
- CULTURING SCIENCE: Major universities write open letter in support of FRPAA, open access publishing act
- EUROPEAN GEOSCIENCES UNION: Swing and a miss by the AAAS for open access
- THE SCHOLARLY KITCHEN: Open Access Publisher Accepts Nonsense Manuscript for Dollars
- UC BERKELEY: UC Open Access Policy
- THE SCIENTIST: OA Advocates Slam Science Advances
- DIGITAL PEDAGOGY LAB: Promoting Open Access Publications and Academic Projects
- NEUROCLOUD: Letter from the Editor
- JOURNAL OF THE MEDICAL LIBRARY ASSOCIATION: Open access - implications for scholarly publishing and medical libraries
- MIXEDMATH: Math journals and the fight over open access
- TORONTO STAR: The house that math built
- OPEN ACCESS AT THE UNIVERSITY OF OREGON: High-impact open access journals